I was praying with my kid in a synagogue wherein the aron was against the eastern wall, and most of the seats were facing north or south. My kid wondered why the people around us turned to face east whenever they were standing. I had (and have) no idea. (Of course, they face east for the amida and so on. But then also for "Alenu" and shir shel yom and kadish (even those not saying it) et cetera.) Anyone know?
Featured on Meta
- Flying domestically in the US, is my State Issued ID all I need to get past security?
- Why do Ryanair allow me to book connecting itineraries through a third party, but not through their own website?
- Is there some hidden joke behind the "it's never lupus" running gag in House?
- Does linking adjectives allow you to talk about multiple variations of something?
- I unknowingly submitted plagiarised work
- Binary Search in C++17
- the meaning of 'carry' in a novel
- Where did Carnap express his disagreement with Wittgenstein's Tractatus?
- What does the view outside my ship traveling at light speed look like?
- Statue View: 2, 3, 5, 7
- Why does Mjolnir fall down in Age of Ultron but not in Endgame?
- Why were helmets and other body armour not commonplace in the 1800s?
- Is the field of q-series 'dead'?
- How did early x86 BIOS programmers manage to program full blown TUIs given very few bytes of ROM/EPROM?
- Why is this Simple Puzzle impossible to solve?
- Is this resistor leaking? If so, is it a concern?
- Accidently removed very important file of my project by comman "cp". Really need help
- Boss wants me to falsify a report. How should I document this unethical demand?
- What is the largest (size) solid object ever dropped from an airplane to impact the ground in freefall?
- Java function signature accept single enum value
- When and what was the first 3D acceleration device ever released?
- Would jet fuel for an F-16 or F-35 be producible during WW2?
- What to do when you've set the wrong ISO for your film?
- At what point in European history could a government build a printing press given a basic description?