There seem to be so many dangers to owning "smartphones," for both children and adults.
- Access to violent, explicit, manipulative images, video, text, etc.
- The technology itself is designed to be compelling and perhaps "addictive"
- It can "steal" our waking time and even our sleep
So I have some questions in this area:
- is this technology permitted in the first place? Under what circumstances?
- When can or should children be able to "go online"?
- On what grounds did various poskim try to outlaw movies, TV, personal computers, internet at home, etc.?
All guiding responses, links, resources are welcomed. (This Letter Prohibiting Television post has already been very helpful in my thinking.)