What should be done about the mezuzot (internal and external) when selling one's house...

  • to a non-Jew?
  • to a non-observant Jew?
  • to an observant Jew?

1 Answer 1


To a non-Jew: take them down.

To a Jew: you're supposed to leave them up, and you can charge him for the cost. . There are differing opinions whether, if you have super-special mezuzas up there, you can replace them with ordinary mezuzahs; what I've heard is mostly that it's permissible. look in אשל אברהם he says you may change it to other kosher not so mehuder

  • 1
    I understand this to be the halacha also, but a source would be nice.
    – msh210
    Aug 8, 2011 at 4:09
  • @msh210: I don't have access to my references right now. Hopefully coming soon.
    – Shalom
    Aug 8, 2011 at 13:05
  • 2
    How about now (access to the sources)?
    – Seth J
    Mar 25, 2012 at 2:45
  • @msh210 its a gemara in the end of bava metzia and is quoted lehalacha by the shulchan aruch. end of hasocher if i remember correctly.
    – Hahu Gavra
    Apr 26, 2012 at 4:06
  • This happened to us so I researched this. A source is in Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 11:21 "If one is moving out of a house and another Jew moves in to live there, the first person may not take the mezuzot off. Rather he should leave them there and the second person should compensate him for their value". Unlike what @Shalom writes, the rabbanims I asked said you cannot take them with you if the new resident refuses to pay for them. So CYLOR
    – mbloch
    Dec 24, 2015 at 15:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .