I would like to learn in Israel in a university, but besides that i would like to study in a yeshiva. Is that possible?


  • 1
    Welcome to mi.yodeya, Andrew! – ezra Nov 14 '17 at 19:00
  • 3
    If such a thing were possible, can you imagine how swamped with work you would be? As if university and yeshiva alone were hard enough, you want to mash them together to form some scary Frankenstein monster!? :P – ezra Nov 14 '17 at 19:02
  • 1
    There are programs for just that option. One thing to look in to would be the Touro options. – Salmononius2 Nov 14 '17 at 19:08
  • Welcome to Mi Yodeya. Of course, it's always possible to attend both a yeshiva and secular university pretty much in any geographic place that has both. Israel is certainly no different in that aspect. With that said, I'd prefer if you could edit your question, if you are specifically looking for dual program schools - i.e. where you do both in one place. That's not obvious from your question. – DanF Nov 14 '17 at 21:14
  • @ezra Both of us know many students who manage to take a dual program. It is challenging and it does make for a rather long day. But, at least within the NY City area, these days, it's starting to become the "norm" among Ortho. Jews. I say starting b/c there are still many yeshivot discouraging kids going to college. I won't discuss the many problems that idea can cause down the line. But, of those that are doing a dual program that I have met, not one is a monster. If anything, they are exhausted but very smart successful people. Andrew would be the same way, I believe. – DanF Nov 14 '17 at 21:20

Machon Lev in Jerusalem is one such option

The Jerusalem College of Technology (JCT) – Lev Academic Center is the second largest academic institution in Jerusalem. It is fully accredited by Israel’s Council of Higher Education and specializes in high-tech engineering, computer science, industrial management and health sciences combined with a Jewish studies program. JCT’s mission is to produce leaders who are strongly committed to Israel, to Jerusalem and to Jewish values.


Bar Ilan offers the option of combining beit midrash for part of the day and university courses the rest of the day: http://mgl.org.il/

  • 1
    As far as I see, it is in hebrew, I dint even find the english version of the site, so first I would have to perfect my hebrew, right? – Andrew Nov 14 '17 at 19:32
  • 1
    @Andrew, yes, you'd need to be proficient in Hebrew. – paquda Nov 14 '17 at 20:10
  • Judging from your comments, it appears that your Hebrew knowledge is "deficient"? Perhaps an idea is seeking out one of the various "American one year" yeshivot that abound in Israel. While they are usually geared for post high school students (and I'm uncertain of your age), I would imagine that they have no problem if you join in. (Trust me, they're happy to accept your money!) and attending any secular Israeli university. – DanF Nov 14 '17 at 21:25
  • 1
    @Andrew Whenever you are going to be moving from one country to another, especially to learn, it's always a good idea to be proficient in the local language. We English speakers are usually pampered because so many people in other countries know our language. – ezra Nov 14 '17 at 23:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .