I was told by one of my Roshei Yeshiva that there are books that are designated for sofrim (scribes). Does anyone know what are the main books they use to review the Halachot and as reference for difference questions that come up?


1 Answer 1


When I started studying hilchot safrut, I was told to use the Kesset haSofer (by R' Schlomo Ganzfried ע"ה) with R' Ya'akov Stern's Mishnat haSofer. It can be purchased here.

From others, I have gleaned that while the above contains all that you need to know, the following sefarim are good to study as well:

  • Rambam: Hilchot Tefillin (from the Mishneh Torah)
  • R' Yosef Karo and the Rem"a: "Hilchot Tefillin," "Hilchot Mezuzot," and "Hilchot Sefer Torah" (Shu"A Orach Chaim and Yoreh De'ah) and the Mishnah Berurah to "Hilchot Tefillin"
  • Nachalat Shiva' (for gittin and ketubot)
  • Melechet Shomayim (R' Seligmann Baer Bamberger)
  • 4
    Also Kol Yaakov and LeDavid Emet for more of a Sefardi bent
    – Double AA
    Commented Sep 17, 2017 at 0:54
  • And Shulchan Aruch Harav for the Chabad practices Commented Sep 17, 2017 at 7:47
  • 2
    @Efraim or R' Moshe Weiner's Osios Harav Commented Sep 17, 2017 at 16:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .