This question already has an answer here:

I was curious if someone could give me a breakdown regarding what the process would be for a person to receive recognition of their status through the Beth Din.

I'm not speaking to conversion but of Jews who are Jewish but fell away from the faith from one generation or another. (Grandparents were Jewish but their parents didn't practice, sort of thing)

I have heard of people entering back into the Jewish community by going to the Beth Din to have their Jewish status recognized under an Halachalic legal setting. I was just curious what that process was like.

marked as duplicate by DonielF, Daniel, Danny Schoemann, Gershon Gold halacha Aug 13 '17 at 14:12

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Dupe of judaism.stackexchange.com/q/52891/9682? – DonielF Aug 13 '17 at 1:32
  • A person who is Jewish does not need a beth din to do anything to restore his or her Jewish status, regardless of what the parents did. As far as halacha is concerned, that person is Jewish. – Daniel Aug 13 '17 at 1:33

Basically, they ask a lot of questions about your family history and will ask for any documentation you might have, including copies of parents'/grandparents' Ketubot (wedding documents) and potentially pictures of tombstones. They may ask you to provide references.

When it's all said and done, they might issue a letter, if that would be needed for instance when moving to Israel.

That's about it; nothing really ceremonial.