I recently spent Shabbos in an area where there was no community eiruv. The house I stayed in had a deck that one could walk out onto from the second story of the house. The deck was enclosed by walls which formed a reshus ha'yachid adjacent to the house. The deck was supported by four poles which were planted in the ground outside. A door from the first floor of the house led out to the region directly below the porch. My question is, is it permissible to walk out the first floor door and carry in the area under the porch? Specifically, can one argue that the walls of the porch above extend downward (gud achis) to create halachic walls that enclose the bottom region as well and permit me to carry in this region?
ends in 8 days
Featured on Meta
- Did pre-Columbian Americans know the spherical shape of the Earth?
- What does the writing on Poe's helmet say?
- malloc in main() or malloc in another function: allocating memory for a struct and its members
- Putting class ranking in CV, but against dept guidelines
- A trigonometry question from STEP examination
- Super Capacitor Stages
- New Order #6: Easter Egg
- Did Mueller's report provide an evidentiary basis for the claim of Russian govt election interference via social media?
- Can you force honesty by using the Speak with Dead and Zone of Truth spells together?
- Caught masturbating at work
- White walkers, cemeteries and wights
- How do living politicians protect their readily obtainable signatures from misuse?
- How to write diff() mathematically?
- The test team as an enemy of development? And how can this be avoided?
- Why weren't discrete x86 CPUs ever used in game hardware?
- Is there a spell that can create a permanent fire?
- Sally's older brother
- One-one communication
- Are there any irrational/transcendental numbers for which the distribution of decimal digits is not uniform?
- Is there hard evidence that the grant peer review system performs significantly better than random?
- 2018 MacBook Pro won't let me install macOS High Sierra 10.13 from USB installer
- How does light 'choose' between wave and particle behaviour?
- Was the pager message from Nick Fury to Captain Marvel unnecessary?
- Can two people see the same photon?