An Unblech is a Blech which has a pot of water to stabilise temperature. None of the area Jewish shops sell an Unblech (also known as a k'deirah Blech).

Where can I get an Unblech, in NYC or on the internet?

Note: capitalisation of Yiddish words follows German grammar.

  • Note: this question does not seek to discuss any of the halachot of bishul beShabbat re: an Unblech. Dec 22, 2016 at 3:21
  • 2
    "Capitalisation of Yiddish words follows German grammar": It does?
    – SAH
    Dec 22, 2016 at 5:05
  • 2
    @SAH in this post
    – msh210
    Dec 22, 2016 at 5:49
  • Note that availability might be directly reflecting rabbinik opinion that this device has no halchik advantage over a much cheaper plain flat piece of metal.
    – user6591
    Dec 22, 2016 at 6:13
  • 1
    @SAH Hatmama. Here the water blech would be mosef hevel, adding heat. That is one of the type of hatmana which is not allowed when it's completely covered.
    – user6591
    Dec 27, 2016 at 0:10

1 Answer 1


I, too, want this blech. In addition to its halachic advantage (which may or may not change the way you can use it), this blech supposedly provides a lot more surface area and is good at keeping food warm at the right temperature without burning it.

Another name for the unblech is the "water blech" or "k'deirah blech." You may have better luck searching for these. Meanwhile, here is the source I have found. From here:

I have a K'deirah ("the unblech") and I love using it because it can keep food nice and warm! Try contacting K'deirah Corporation, [...] 8818 N. Kolmar, Skokie 60076, (847)673-3210, and [a representative] will be able to tell you where you can get it. Feel free to tell her I sent you. Enjoy!

IY"H I will call her soon but if you beat me to it, please post what you learn about where to get this.

  • Regardless of whether her contact info has been posted elsewhere, I would refrain from posting it here, despite the fact I doubt most of our members would abuse it. Dec 22, 2016 at 4:07
  • @NoachMiFrankfurt It's a corporate number; I really don't think it's an issue. Anyway, I edited out the contact person for you.
    – SAH
    Dec 22, 2016 at 4:37
  • 1
    I bought mine in a Judaica store in Teaneck. If you go into your local Judaica store and ask the people there to order one, they can probably get it.
    – rosends
    Dec 22, 2016 at 11:22
  • Curious. It sounds like you could construct one yourself somewhat easily, no? If you got a large aluminum pan that had a bit of depth and covered it with a flat aluminum sheet, (essentially a custom cut regular blech) wouldn't that do the job?
    – DanF
    Dec 22, 2016 at 16:15
  • 1
    Indeed, one does place water between 2 metal sheets. AND, based on most opinions that I have read, one should put a piece of metal "upside down" over the blech. Don't recall specifics on that, offhand. The problem, as I gather, is that you may be boiling the water in the un-blech, so you're not accomplishing anything permissible.
    – DanF
    Dec 27, 2016 at 16:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .