Does taking government subsidies such as Section 8 and Food Stamps in a situation where the government subsidy is specifically providing money for food per child (Food Stamps) or money for an extra room per child (Sec 8) affect in any way the status of the halachos that take into account "soimech al shulchan aviv" (chanukah lights, Eiruvi chatzeiros)? Does the fact that the government/tzibbur is paying for the child's food,rent and sometimes even tuition give the child the status of "eino soimech al shulchan aviv"?

  • 1
    Could the child get the stuff without his parents?
    – Double AA
    Nov 6, 2016 at 20:14
  • 1
    the reason of the dinim of somech al shulchan aviv is if I remember mishum eiva. It is still relevant today despite the help of government.
    – kouty
    Nov 6, 2016 at 20:45
  • @kouty. We're probably talking about different things. The Halacha by Eiruv chatzeiros and other dinin is not dependent on eivah as far as I remember.
    – Mark A.
    Nov 7, 2016 at 0:57
  • @MarkA for iruve chatserot Machloket Rav&Shmuel makom lina or makom seuda not linked to government
    – kouty
    Nov 7, 2016 at 1:11
  • @MarkA I mean מקום לינה או מקום פיתא
    – kouty
    Nov 7, 2016 at 5:59


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .