If someone converted to judaism via an Institution X, can an institution Y undo the conversion or make a proclamation saying they do not recognize this conversion as a true conversion?

  • Only if they think Institution X botched the process.
    – Double AA
    Jul 23, 2015 at 13:57
  • Thanks and what is your source?
    – far22
    Jul 23, 2015 at 14:06
  • They can challenge the mechanics of the conversion, e.g. if they feel Institution X's rabbis are invalid from serving as witnesses or the mikvah or circumcision were invalid. More often they can say "we weren't sure if enough commitment was demanded of the applicant", or "we believe the commitment was a fraud as demonstrated by the following behavior." But no they cannot un-convert someone, they can express their opinion that the first conversion was no good.
    – Shalom
    Jul 23, 2015 at 14:26


Browse other questions tagged .