I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for such an investigation; but, I'll pose the question and find out. I'm trying to trace the tradition received by HaRav Shimshon Rafa'el Hirsch through the ages (i.e. who were his teachers and their teachers, etc.).
So far, Googling has led me back as far as HaRav Ya'aqov Yehoshua' ben Tzevi Hirsch Falk (author of Pene'i Yehoshua'). But, I'm having difficulty tracing the tradition further back from Pene'i Yehoshua'. Does anyone know who Pene'i Yehoshua' received his tradition from or, more generally, how to go about such research?
For completeness' sake, here is the trail I've uncovered thus far:
- Rav Shimshon Rafa'el Hirsch learned from Rav Isaac Bernays
- Rav Isaac Bernays, in turn, learned from Rav Avraham Bing
- Rav Avraham Bing, in turn, learned from Rav Nathan Adler
- Rav Nathan Adler, in turn, learned from Rav David Tevele Schiff
- Rav David Tevele Schiff, in turn, learned from Rav Ya'aqov Yehoshua' ben Tzevi Hirsch Falk