I am looking for early descriptions of the "Foundation Stone" (אבן שתיה) -- the huge flat rock now enclosed by the "Dome of the Rock," and believed by many Jewish scholars to have been the site of the Holy of Holies, as well as the place that Yaakov dreamed about the ladder to Heaven, and Avraham brought Yitzhok as an offering. The Mishna Yoma 5:3 and the Gemara at Yoma 54a give detailed descriptions and discussions of the rock, as does Josephus and later rabbinic sources. What sources from the First or Second Temple eras, if any, exist which describe the stone as it existed then (it is known that Crusaders greatly damaged the rock) and which the Mishna and later sources relied upon as proof that this rock was the center point of the Holy of Holies?
Featured on Meta
3What was the status of the Pharisees, and their relationship with the Temple authorities in the early first century?
- Why do Russians almost not use verbs of possession akin to "have"?
- Why does the hash of infinity have the digits of π?
- Best shape for a necromancer's undead minions for battle?
- How did NASA Langley end up with the first 737?
- How to determine if a hyphen (-) exists inside a column
- Why sampling a periodic signal doesn't yield a periodic discrete signal?
- Grade-school elementary algebra presented in an abstract-algebra style?
- Sorting with IComparable design
- How was Daenerys able to legitimise Gendry?
- Of strange atmospheres - the survivable but unbreathable
- On San Andreas Speedruns, why do players blow up the Picador in the mission Ryder?
- Burned out due to current job, Can I take a week of vacation between jobs?
- Can a UK national work as a paid shop assistant in the USA?
- Why is 'additive' EQ more difficult to use than 'subtractive'?
- What would prevent living skin from being a good conductor for magic?
- Why A=2 and B=1 in the call signs for Spirit and Opportunity?
- Why would a rational buyer offer to buy with no conditions precedent?
- Why does the Starter Set wizard have six spells in their spellbook?
- Why isn't Tyrion mentioned in the in-universe book "A Song of Ice and Fire"?
- Why is this integration method not valid?
- What tokens are in the end of line?
- How to keep consistency across the application architecture as a team grows?
- Is "vegetable base" a common term in English?
- Can a ring of spell storing and access to Find spells produce an endless menagerie?