There is an interesting brief discussion at Taanis 27b which says that the Ma'amad would fast four days a week -- but never on Sunday. According to Rabbi Yochanan it is because they were afraid of the Notzrim, aka the "Nazerenes" (who observed Sunday as the Sabbath). I'm not clear whether the Notzrim were proto-Christians that pre-dated Christianity but who had a great influence on the new church, or whether this is simply a reference to the early Christians. Putting that issue to one side, I don't understand why the Ma'amad would be fearful of the Notzrim. If they were Christians, they could not have been an especially large group in Rabbi Yochanan's day, nor would they have been unaware of the fact that even their messiah had observed Saturdays as the Sabbath. Is there more to this story that was censored?
Featured on Meta
- If you attack a Tarrasque while swallowed, what AC do you need to beat to hit it?
- How to play vs. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 d6?
- Keeping the dodos out of the field
- How could Dwarves prevent sand from filling up their settlements
- What is this dime sized black bug with white on the segments near Loveland Colorodao?
- RAID 5/6 rebuild time calculation
- Is there a word for pant sleeves?
- 1950s or earlier book with electrical currents living on Pluto
- Are there historical examples of audiences drawn to a work that was "so bad it's good"?
- 3D Histogram / bar chart
- Why is there no current between two capacitors connected in series?
- How can I use 400 ASA film in a Leica IIIf, which does not have options higher than 100?
- Will this series of events work to drown the Tarrasque?
- Difference in 1 user doing 1000 iterations and 1000 users doing 1 iteration in Load testing
- Managing heat dissipation in a magic wand
- Does George B Sperry logo on fold case for photos indicate photographer or case manufacturer?
- What quantum phenomena violate the superposition principle in electromagnetism?
- Eigenvalues of the Laplace-Beltrami operator on a compact Riemannnian manifold
- List of lists elementwise greater/smaller than
- How would a physicist explain this starship engine?
- Does science define life as "beginning at conception"?
- If the Charles SSL Proxy shows me sensitive data, is that data insecure/exposed?
- Requirement for splicing neutrals in a switch