In my experience it is rare to see a Rosh Yeshiva or other prominent Rabbi declared to be senile and no longer working at full mental capacity. Recently such a proclamation was made about one Rosh Yeshiva however this was due to a legal situation. I think it is fair to assume that there are other Gedolim or older Roshei Yeshiva who are in a similar situation. I understand these things are not made public out of respect, but halachically I would guess that a person who no longer has all his faculties cannot be relied upon for psak. At what point can/should an assumption be made by the general public that a certain Rav is senile and can no longer be relied upon, even absent a medical diagnosis?
Featured on Meta
2If your rabbi accidentally tells you that something is allowed, and you follow him, are you punished?
-2What to do if you haven't yet davened mincha and an important rabbi calls you 10 minutes before shekia?
- What was the first language to use conditional keywords?
- Why is Nikon 1.4g better when Nikon 1.8g is sharper?
- How to tell that you are a giant?
- Is it fair for a professor to grade us on the possession of past papers?
- Can anything be seen from the center of the Boötes void? How dark would it be?
- Trademark violation for app?
- Performance gap between bool std:vector and array
- Why is my ESD wriststrap failing with nitrile gloves on?
- Does the Weapon Master feat grant you a fighting style?
- Denied boarding although I have proper visa and documentation. To whom should I make a complaint?
- Did Deadpool rescue all of the X-Force?
- What's the meaning of "fortified infraction restraint"?
- Localisation of Category
- How can I reduce the gap between left and right of \cdot with a macro?
- Is there any word for a place full of confusion?
- Find 108 by using 3,4,6
- Do any jurisdictions seriously consider reclassifying social media websites as publishers?
- Multiple OR (||) Conditions in If Statement
- Does lack of seasonality imply random time series?
- Maximum summed subsequences with non-adjacent items
- Why aren't air breathing engines used as small first stages?
- Export Xpubkey from Bitcoin Core
- How do I make this wiring inside cabinet safer?
- Should I use a zero-interest credit card for a large one-time purchase?