I am looking to purchase a set of Mishna Berura and wanted to know what the difference is between these two versions: Mishna Berura Oz v'Hadar and Mishna Berura Dirshu. Which would you recommend and why specifically?
The Mishna Berura Oz WeHadar that it is split into many volumes has these features:
- Biurim- explanation of the words of the Shulhan Aruch, Rama, and Mishna Berura including the relevant sources from the Gemara and Rishonim.
- Biurei HaHalacha- explanation of the words of the Biurei Halacha includingthe relevant sources from the Gemara and Rishonim.
- Tsiyunim Vehearot- notes and comments and some Pilpul in the Poskim
- Mishnat Shaar Hasiyon- clarifying the opinions in the Shaar Hasiyun
- Kisur Biur Halacha - summary of the Biur Halacha
- Likute Poskim - Pesakim from the Shulhan Aruch HaRav and Hazon Ish
The Mishna Berura Dirshu will bring explanation and comments on the Daf of Mishna Berura but it is not at all an in depth explanation like the Mishna Berura Oz WeHadar. So if you have the money and are interested in a real limud in the Mishna Berura take the Oz Wehadar. If you just one want to learn Mishna Berura regularly (which isn't Has Weshalom bad) with a few nice notes from the later Aharonim and the bringing of the places where the Mishna Berura writes "Ayen Sham" take the Dirshu.