- Sing "vayhi binsoa" as the Aron is opened by -- let's call him Mr. Opener
- Brich Shmei is said
- Chazan is now holding Torah scroll and says Shema (or Gadlu).
I've seen different things happen for Brich Shmei:
- Torah sits in Aron the entire time, chazan receives it afterwards from Opener.
- Torah is taken out and held by Opener immediately, then handed off to chazan after Brich Shmei
- Torah is taken out and immediately handed to chazan, who holds it for Brich Shmei.
Any practices I missed? Are any of these documented as proper?
I suspect this has something to do with the source for Brich Shmei altogether. Rabbi Artscroll says when we're taking out the Torah is an ideal time for beseeching Hashem (if I recall correctly), probably something kabbalistic.