Can one make a Mi Shebeirach for an ill person if they do not know the mother's name?


2 Answers 2


If they know the father's name they can say that instead (Yabia Omer 2:11).

If they do not know the father's name either, the Nishmas Avraham (vol. 4 42:13) writes in the name of Rabbi Elyashuv that they should say "bas Avraham" - see there at length.

I have personally heard "bas Sarah" being used rather than "bas Avraham".

  • This only works if they are Jewish.
    – Double AA
    Feb 8, 2013 at 2:14
  • Does the Nishmas Avraham say we should say "ploni(t) ben/bas bas Avraham", to mention ploni(t)'s mother without knowing her name, or just "ploni(t) ben/bas Avraham"?
    – magicker72
    Mar 3, 2016 at 20:27
  • 1
    Rav Soloveitchik in Divrei HaRav holds that l'chatchalia that one should use the father's name.
    – sam
    Mar 3, 2016 at 20:31
  • 2
    Why is this such a big deal? HaShem knows who it is. Just say the full name?
    – Yehoshua
    Mar 4, 2016 at 10:36

If they do not know the persons mothers name or fathers name the Orchos Rabbeinu 1:218 brings from the Chazon Ish that one can say the persons first and last name.


enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .