If a convert (orthodox) later finds out she was Jewish anyway through her mother, does she need a new ketubah since the one she has says bas Avraham and giyorta? Would the answer be different if the biological father was Jewish or not Jewish?

  • 3
    Jilleen2011, welcome to Mi Yodeya, and thanks very much for this interesting question! Please note that Mi Yodeya does not offer personal rabbinic advice, so if you know someone for whom this is a practical question, she should consult her Rabbi for a ruling, possibly armed with useful information collected by the community here. Also, please consider registering your account, which will give you access to more of the site's features.
    – Isaac Moses
    Dec 28, 2012 at 15:00
  • 2
    A convert's Ketuba is for 100 zuz. Would this wife have deserved 200 had she known she wasn't a convert? If so then she certainly needs a new Ketuba.
    – Double AA
    Dec 28, 2012 at 15:10
  • 2
    Actually, I wonder if the Kiddushin is nullified as a Mekach Ta'ut?
    – Double AA
    Dec 28, 2012 at 15:16
  • 2
    @DoubleAA most standard kutubot include additional gifts that far exceed the 200 zuz threshold no? Also, wouldn't it only be a mekach ta'ut if the result could be claimed by the husband to be inferior to what he was expecting? Dec 28, 2012 at 15:22
  • 2
    @DoubleAA not sure about a mamzer but if he preferred a different status it would be a mekach ta'us but that would have to be indicated by the husband, not assumed, I believe. Dec 28, 2012 at 15:38

1 Answer 1


A kesubah is a shtar -- a binding legal document under Jewish law -- and must meet the criteria required of all shtars. If a kesubah is found to have a mistake, it can be corrected with a kesubah dimishtakich bei ta’usa, a kesubah in which a mistake was found, that is used in these circumstances and signed by witnesses. See http://e.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/shiur.asp?id=11715. It seems to me that since both your name and halachic status (converted women are entitled to less money than born-Jewish women in the writing of a kesubah), it would seem to me that the mistake is serious enough to take to your local rabbi for further consultation.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .