After Joshua, during the time of the judges, where was the ark located? In Judges 18 it seems that the people did not have a central place of worship.
The Mishnayot in the last chapter of Zevachim outline the journey of the Tabernacle. When the Jews arrived in Israel:
- The Tabernacle was in Gilgal for the 14 years of capturing and dividing the land.
- It then moved to Shiloh for 369 years.
- When Shiloh was destroyed (I Samuel 4), the Tabernacle was moved to Nov until it too was destroyed (I Samuel 22:19)
- whereupon it was moved to Givon until the building of the first Temple in Jerusalem by King Solomon.
The Ark, meanwhile:
- had been taken from Shiloh when it was destroyed by the Philistines. It was in their hands for 7 months (I Samuel 5:1)
- then it was returned to the Jews at Beit Shemesh (I Samuel 6:13) who placed it into care in Kiryat Ye'arim (I Samuel 6:21).
- It stayed there until King David brought it up to Jerusalem, stopping temporarily at the house of Oved Edom the Gittite (II Samuel 6:10).