I was wondering if a convert (someone who was not born a Jew) may, by the rules of the state of Israel, migrate to Israel (make aliyah, as defined by the State of Israel)?

  • 4
    Please edit your question to make it clear whether you're asking about whether converts may migrate according to Jewish law, may migrate freely under the State of Israel's Law of Return, both, or something else.
    – Isaac Moses
    Jun 18, 2012 at 15:03
  • 2
    Just about anyone can migrate to Israel. That simply involves moving there. Do you mean if converts can make aliyah under the Law of Return? Jun 18, 2012 at 15:19
  • Halakhically, anyone who is a Jew, Kehen, Lewi, Yisroel, or Jer/convert should move to Israel. The secular State of Israel doesn't even accept many, even Haredi, conversions made within Israel, because they need to have their own people and/or specific groups or authorities to put their stamp of approval on a conversion.
    – Aman
    Jun 18, 2012 at 15:55
  • 1
    Fast Furious, Please understand that the differences between the policies of the State of Israel and Jewish Law are many. It would really be beneficial for you to clarify your question. Who is the authority you are asking when you say "may migrate"?
    – Seth J
    Jun 18, 2012 at 16:09
  • 1
    I mean the state.
    – user1629
    Jun 18, 2012 at 16:39

2 Answers 2



Israel's Law of Return says that

Every Jew has the right to come to this country as an oleh.

and defines "Jew" as

a person who was born of a Jewish mother or has become converted to Judaism and who is not a member of another religion.

(emphasis mine)

  • +1, but you might add that gentiles can often migrate to Israel too (albeit not under the Law of Return).
    – msh210
    Jun 18, 2012 at 18:20
  • @msh210, the question currently specifies "aliyah," which I think refers specifically to immigration to Israel by a Jew.
    – Isaac Moses
    Jun 18, 2012 at 18:21

Yes, the only limitation is that the conversion is recognized by the Jewish Agency and the Ministry of Absorption. Having your conversion recognized by the Ministry of Absorption can be either easier or harder than having it recognized by the Chief Rabbinate of Israel depending on the situation.

  • What is the criteria for that?
    – user1629
    Jun 18, 2012 at 17:03
  • @FastFurious, You'll have to contact the Jewish Agency or another intermediary (like Nefesh B'Nefesh) for that information.
    – Seth J
    Jun 18, 2012 at 17:16
  • 1
    "the only limitation is that the conversion is recognized by the Jewish Agency and the Ministry of Absorption"? Gentiles can't migrate to Israel?
    – msh210
    Jun 18, 2012 at 18:19

You must log in to answer this question.