What does it mean Palifit it this Rabeinu Gershom in Daf B amud Alef in Bava Basra? enter image description here

  • 2
    What tractate is this from?
    – Double AA
    Commented May 10 at 11:49
  • 2
    It would be helpful if you showed what word or phrase he was commenting on (i.e. the entire דיבור המתחיל).
    – Harel13
    Commented May 10 at 13:42
  • 1
    Bava Basra first daf
    – sam
    Commented May 10 at 14:01
  • 2
    merriam-webster.com/dictionary/palafitte seems like a pile of wood sticks fastened together or piled ontop based off this word
    – sam
    Commented May 10 at 14:18
  • 2
    @sam Maybe it's "pulpit"?
    – N.T.
    Commented May 10 at 18:39

2 Answers 2


palafitte are vertical wooden pilings set in the ground.

  • 1
    Welcome to MiYodeya and thanks for this first answer. Great to have you learn with us!
    – mbloch
    Commented May 26 at 14:20

See here in the book "Der Orient" in which it claims in the name of שד"ל (I am assuming this is Rabbi Shmuel David Luzzatto) that this is an Italian word.

Here is the Cambridge Dictionary translation

stilts [noun plural] tall poles fixed under a house etc to support it eg if it is built on a steep hillside

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .