enter image description here

My son sent me this picture of an old voweled text, probably around 10-12 centuries CE. What stands out, is that the letter He is connected and Chet is flat on the left side.

Is this a fragment of a Torah scroll or a Chumash? What kind of Ktav is it?

  • 1
    Hei dangling in the middle with chet being connected on the end used to be a very common way of writing. It's discussed in the rishonim.
    – Double AA
    Jan 9, 2022 at 18:08
  • If you look at both the Aleppo or the Leningrad Codex, you can see this type of ה Jan 10, 2022 at 8:40

1 Answer 1


That's a screenshot from the 10th-century Damascus Pentateuch. See the full page here. The writing is fairly typical for that era.

  • +1. Can you add a source or two from the Rishonim that discuss Heh looking like Chet?
    – Harel13
    Jan 9, 2022 at 18:09
  • 1
    @Harel13 Famous Shut Tashbetz if I'm not mistaken. See too the gemara in menachot about safra davkana debei rav. see yd 276 about how/if to correct a hei that does touch, and even haezer 126:48 that a touching hei is kosher bemakom iggun.
    – Double AA
    Jan 9, 2022 at 18:11
  • Thank you very much.
    – Al Berko
    Jan 9, 2022 at 18:13
  • Thank you! (15)
    – Harel13
    Jan 9, 2022 at 18:17
  • @Harel13 oops it's rivash not rashbatz. Got my head in Algeria I guess. See too radvaz he.wikisource.org/wiki/…
    – Double AA
    Jan 9, 2022 at 19:02

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .