In בבא מציעא daf 33b, the very beginning of the Gemara on המפקיד. The Gemara says מקני ליה. The Artscroll English edition, vowelizes מקני as mak-nay. What are the precise possible translation(s) of מקני ליה?
- Does the yud in מקני signify that the subject (the one(s) being מקנה) is plural? i.e. they are מקנה
- Or can it refer to the items being transferred, leaving the subject singular - i.e. he is מקנה the items
- does ליה have to mean "to him" (i.e. to the recipient), or could it be referring to the item being transferred - as it "they are מקנה it" with ליה corresponding to "it"
- "He conveys ownership to him"
- "He conveys ownership of it" (i.e. ליה refers to the item whose ownership is being transferred)
- "He conveys ownership of them (the items) to him"
- "They convey ownership to him"