When a Kohain chas v'Shalom marries a divorcée or convert, halacha requires us to suspend his privileges - he may not receive the first aliyah during the Torah reading, duchen, etc, until such time as he divorces.

While the disqualifying situation persists, how do we refer to such a Kohain in prayer for his health? Should he be referred to as "Yonathan Ben Leah HaKohain" as would normally befit a Kohain, or just "Yonathan Ben Leah"?

  • Is 'HaKohain' supposed to be added when naming the person in a Mi Shebeirach? I know that certain things (i.e. a title like Harav) are not supposed to be said during a Mi Shebeirach, for some reason like there are no titles before G-d. (Yes, I'm aware people do say titles in Mi Shebeirachs, but I believe that is in error). I'll see if I can find a source for this, who knows, maybe it mentions 'HaKohain' as well. – Salmononius2 Oct 31 '19 at 12:30
  • @Salmononius2 You mean like this Ram"a? he.wikisource.org/wiki/… – WAF Oct 31 '19 at 13:24
  • As long as he is married to her, he is referred to as a challal just as their children are. Once he divorces her, he is no longer a challal. – sabbahillel Oct 31 '19 at 15:11
  • @WAF Similar idea, but not exactly what I was referring to. I'm fairly certain I've seen the idea explicitly mentioned with regards to naming a person in a Mi Shebeirach. – Salmononius2 Oct 31 '19 at 16:22
  • @sabbabillel temporary classification as a challal makes intuitive sense on some level; do you have a source for that? – Josh K Nov 3 '19 at 1:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .