When did the heter bamos (the time when it was permitted for klal yisrael to build their own bamos) begin and end?
Mishnah Zevachim 14:4-8 describe the times that bamot were permitted and forbidden:
- Before the mishkan was set up - bamot permitted
- Once the mishkan was set up in the desert - bamot forbidden
- While the mishkan was in Gilgal - bamot permitted
- While the mishkan was in Shiloh - bamot forbidden
- While the mishkan was in Nov and Giv'on - bamot permitted
- Once the beit hamikdash was built in Yerushalayim and from then on - bamot forbidden.