I am looking for recommendations of good websites and books that talk about various ways of understanding the 'conflicts' between the Torah and a modern understanding of the age of the universe, the history of mankind, and events like the Flood.
Immortality, Resurrection and the Age of the Universe: A Kabbalistic View by Rabbi Kaplan discusss many of these topics.
See the table of contents:
- The age of the universe
- Longevity and immortality in Judaic sources
- On the resurrection
- Astrology: stars and angles
- Male and female
Here are 3 books not already mentioned which are highly relevant and which I appreciated
- Gerald Schroeder: The Science of God: The Convergence of Scientific and Biblical Wisdom (2009) which "demonstrates the surprising parallels between a variety of Biblical teachings and the findings of biochemists, paleontologists, astrophysicists, and quantum physicists. In a brilliant and wide-ranging discussion of key topics that have divided science and religion—free will, the development of the universe, the origin of life, and the origin of man—Schroeder argues that the latest science and a close reading of the Bible are not just compatible but interdependent."
- Gerald Schroeder: The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth (2002) which "explains why cutting-edge scientific theories point to a great plan underlying the universe"
- R Aryeh Carmell & Cyril Domb: Challenge: Torah Views on Science and Its Problems (1988)
There is a comprehensive compendium of the Rebbe’s discussions on science topics as related to the Torah: Mind over Matter: The Lubavitcher Rebbe on Science, Technology, and Medicine, compiled by Rabbi Joseph Ginsburg and Professor Herman Branover, edited and translated by Arnie Gotfryd, Ph.D. (Jerusalem: Shamir, 2003).
They are many good sites to learn about Judaism, but the best, in my opinion, is Israel Drazin. He reviews books and prefers rational Judaism. Here is his website:https://booksnthoughts.com/
He writes a total of 50 books. My favorite is “Maimonides: Reason above all” by Rabbi Israel Drazin.
Mesora is good, too. http://www.mesora.org/
But if you want to study the conflict between science and Torah, the age of the universe or Genesis, and Noah’s flood, and how to reconcile these things, I recommend you read “Genesis and the Big Bang” by physicist Gerald Schroeder and read about Noah from philosopher and rabbi, Dr. Israel Drazin. They will answer your questions.
I am a Reform Jew, so I think you should read at least one book from reform rabbi.
I think "The God Upgrade, Finding your 21st Century Spirituality in Judaism’s 5000 Year Old Tradition" By Rabbi Jamie S. Korngold, Jewish Lights Publishing, 2011, 143 pages, is a great source.