If a woman converts, marries, and divorces -- how is she identified in her next ketubah? Matrachta (divorcee) or Giyorta (convert-ess)? Does it matter? Is there a convention which term is used for her? Is it her call?

  • I think you mean "matrachta" (or "metarachta") - מתרכתא.
    – Alex
    Oct 5 '11 at 17:29

The book חוקת הגר (about which and about whose author, warning, I know nothing) writes (on page 22):

גיורת שנתגרשה ורוצה להנשא שנית, יש לכתוב בכתובתה גיורתא דא שלא נשכח ייחוסה, ואין כבר צורך לכתוב מתרכתא דא כי בגיורת יודעים שהיא אסורה לכהן.‏

Or, in my own free translation:

In the case of a female convert who was divorced and wants to remarry, one should write in her k'suva "גיורתא דא" so we do not forget her lineage, and then there's no need to write "מתרכתא דא", for everyone knows a convert can't marry a kohen.

He directs the reader to a footnote (16), which Google Books is not letting me see.


My own intuition is to write divorcee, as the convert status is implied in her being plonit bat Avraham Avinu.

  • What if her father's name is unkown or actually is Avraham Avinu?
    – Double AA
    Jul 22 '12 at 22:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .