Edim (witnesses) refers in halacha to
- those who deliberately witness something (e.g. a transaction) knowing that they may be called on later to testify about it,
- those who happen to witness something (e.g. a crime) and may need to testify about it later,
- those who are testifying (even falsely) that they had witnessed something,
- those who witness something (e.g. a marriage) thereby effecting a change in status, and
- those who sign a contract to testify that what it avers is true.
See also evidence.