Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Many American yeshiva bochrim spend 1 - 1.5 years (average) learning in Israel after high school before they enter college. I know that most of them offer credits where some of them can be transferred to various secular colleges.

I am unaware, though, of any programs that offer credits towards rabbinical semicha at a kollel such as Ner Yisra'el or something similar (i.e. - a known "accredited" Semicha program.) Are there any? If so, can you name a few or, better, point me to a web list or contact person where I can learn more?

share|improve this question
Ner Israel does not have a Semicha program. You learn the material and take a test from R' Yosef Berger, and you have to pass Mishna Berura tests - if you happen to know it already, then you can take the tests that much sooner. Many Yeshivas are like that, with the possible addition of a requirement to be in the Yeshiva for a given amount of time. YU has a Semicha Program, but I don't think you can transfer anything to it. – Y ez Jul 28 '14 at 19:00
@YEZ - You seem to know the Ner program / structure quite well. Are you a "grad"? – DanF Jul 28 '14 at 19:10
guilty as charged – Y ez Jul 28 '14 at 19:12
@YEZ - Nothing to feel "guilty" about. They have a superb reputation. Normally, I would ask you for a contact person for more info, but as this is for my deaf son, I will prob. contact Rav Kakon, whom I believe graduated from there, himself. – DanF Jul 28 '14 at 19:22
There are semicha programs that work on credits? Learn something new every day. – Shokhet Jul 28 '14 at 23:21

Among other requirements, semicha from Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary, an affiliate of Yeshiva University, requires two years of Talmud study. If a person studied in Israel for two (or more) years, his last year of undergraduate Talmud can also count as one of the years of Talmud for semicha. So in a sense, he is receiving credit towards semicha. I am not sure if this applies only if his undergraduate work is done at YU, or even if he obtains a Bachelor of Talmudic Literature from other places.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.