Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When reading Torah, many people (myself included) use a distinct tune when a kadma and a zakef katan appear on the same word (or two words joined with a makaf); e.g. from Sh'mot 34:1:


Yet I have not been able to find discussion of this anywhere. What is the name for this set of notes read in this way?

share|improve this question
I've always heard it called a Pashta Kattan. –  Double AA Jun 12 '14 at 2:59
I have always said this as pashta zakef gadol although I have never heard a name for this combination –  Daniel Jun 12 '14 at 4:14
"Mesorah" (15c) –  Seth J Dec 9 '14 at 21:35

1 Answer 1

The first sign is called a מתיגה (and the second a זקף קטן as usual).

share|improve this answer
I have seen it also called a maqel. –  user432944 Jun 12 '14 at 10:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.