Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My son is deaf. I am looking for a Smicha program for him where the Rosh Yeshiva has experience dealing with and accommodating the deaf. My son has a cochlear implant and has SOME hearing, so he does not need an interpreter, per-se, though that would help. Does anyone know of a place and / or refer me to someone I can email or speak to?

share|improve this question
When I was in NIRC, there were a handful of deaf bochrim. Shiur klali was translated into ASL, and there was even a lunch-break class to learn sign-language. I don't know if that helps you. – Y ez May 15 '14 at 20:18
Offhand, do you know if they were high school or Kollel (in Smicha)? – DanF May 15 '14 at 21:07
they were post-high school. At least one was in Kollel. A smicha "program" doesn't really exist at NIRC - you learn, and if you happen to learn the material necessary for semicha, you take a test. – Y ez May 15 '14 at 21:14
@YEZ- appreciate if you can post name of contact and phone # and/or email. – DanF May 15 '14 at 21:16
NIRC contact? Main office - 410-484-7200, you could ask to speak to R' Sheftl Neuberger. I guess. – Y ez May 15 '14 at 21:19

The one high school Yeshiva in North America for the deaf is Yeshivas Nefesh Dovid (http://www.nefeshdovid.com/) located in Toronto. The Rosh Yeshiva, Rabbi Chaim Tzvi Kakon, himself is deaf and got his S'micha from Ner Israel Rabbinical College in Baltimore, MD.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I know Rabbi Kakon. I speak to him, frequently, I wasn't aware that Ner accomodates deaf. Will have to investigate, further. – DanF May 15 '14 at 21:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.