Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a general name for the types of books which are to be treated with respect? For example: a siddur, a Tanach, a copy of the Hagaddah, Megilat Esther, or Talmud. Might we call these holy books, sifrei kodesh, or is that misleading?

Sample usage: When her grandfather passed away, she cleaned out his library, deciding to keep only the __.

share|improve this question
I'm thinking sheimos, as in sheimos sheainam nimchakim – Eliyahu Apr 10 '14 at 13:39

AFAIK, sifrei kodesh (ספרי קודש) is the common term.

share|improve this answer

Colloquialy we refer to them as Sefarim (Sefer in singular), as opposed to books which are not treated with respect.

She kept the Sefarim and threw out the books.

This does not work when talking Hebrew.

share|improve this answer
+1 for "this does not work when talking Hebrew. Many Anglos speak as if it does – Yitzchak Apr 7 '14 at 16:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.