Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Shtender and it has an option to remove the top part of it and use it as a table-top Shtender. Is doing this — removing the top part to use as a table top or putting it back to be used as a regular Shtender — allowed on Shabbos?Another aspect of the question is the height can be adjusted to make it a sitting or standing Shtender and is adjusted by using a screw like implement is one allowed to adjust the height (My concern is Boineh or Makeh Bpatish.)

share|improve this question
From what I learned its mutar,will look up sources – sam Jan 23 '14 at 17:50

Shulchan Shlomo 313:7 - Rabbi Shlomo Zalman Aurbach Zatzal - and Shaalos U'Teshuvos Shevet HaLevi 6:32 permit adjusting the height of a Shtender on Shabbos. Minchas Yitzchok 9:38 prohibits adjusting a Shtender on Shabbos. Thanks to RabbiKaganoff.com

share|improve this answer
Does anyone address the separating the table top Shtender and reattaching? even thought according to the guy in the Judaica store it is a very recent feature but that just may be a sales Pitch – user3329 Jan 24 '14 at 5:03
here is the one i bought if it helps: greenfieldjudaica.com/… – user3329 Jan 24 '14 at 5:06

Rivevos Ephraim 5:264 goes through this sugya,and brings opinions some which Gershon Gold already mentioned which allows adjustment on shabbas.However he brings a shittah which holds that a yeshiva shtender which is constantly adjusted is mutar,but a shtender which is used at a specific height should not be adjusted.see inside.


share|improve this answer
Thank You Very much!! – user3329 Jan 24 '14 at 17:49

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.