Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

"A convert may not hold a position of Jewish communal authority." (Mishneh Torah, Hilchos Melachim 1:4)

The Tzitz Eliezer ruled that a convert may not serve in a lone communal position but he may serve on a communal committee. (Tzitz Eliezer 19:48)

My question is can a convert (ger) become a chabad shliach (emissary)? Shluchim don't seat in a Beis Din; they just try to bring Jews close to Yiddishkait.

Chabad follows the Rambam in most cases and the question is if Shluchim are included in the statement "jewish communal authority" or since they don't have absolute power, they are not included. I know that they are rabbis converts ,like the chief Rabbi of Prague,but I don't know what is the chabad policy concerning "shliach, offical emmissary" I know that there are some converts chabad rabbis , but I don't know of an official shliach

share|improve this question
Welcome to Mi Yodeya. Is there a particular reason you think they can't? If so, adding that information to the question would be helpful. Thanks. – Monica Cellio Nov 3 '13 at 1:58
@sholy We don't follow the Rambam in Halacha (except Hilchasa Lemeshicha) – Shmuel Brin Nov 3 '13 at 5:36
sholy, as @MonicaCellio said, please add to the question your motivation therefor. – msh210 Nov 3 '13 at 17:21
in the link of shliach application there is not the ger option and I don't know any ger shliach mychabad.org/mychabad/login/apply.asp – sholy Nov 3 '13 at 17:40
@sholy could be that Ger is part of Yisrael. – Shmuel Brin Nov 3 '13 at 17:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.