Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm sick today; I think it might be (mild) gastroenteritis. DuPont et al. write that "the most important form of therapy consists of fluid combined with electrolytes", citing the CDC.

I'd rather use a commercial electrolyte product, but Pedialyte isn't cheap, and I don't want to pay $1 per bottle for premixed Gatorade or Powerade either.

What can I buy that's kosher and cheaper?

share|improve this question
Go to Israel and drink Petel – Shmuel Brin Jun 17 '13 at 21:33
I know you want a premixed, but making it yourself is fairly easy: 1 c OJ, 1 c water, 1 tbsp salt (or maybe tsp, I forget) – Charles Koppelman Jun 17 '13 at 22:08
Dear readers: The question still has no upvotes. As for you, personally, why did you not vote the question up? :) – unforgettableid Jun 25 '13 at 18:59

I've done homebrew in the past: raw (unsweetened) Kool Aid packets mixed to 1/2 sweetness, with a mixture of salts (e.g KCl and NaCl). You can substitute syrups for granulated sugar. Google around for recipes.

share|improve this answer
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I looked online for information, and I checked my local supermarket. I didn't phone any companies.

  • Pedialyte has a hechsher. But even if you buy the powder, you'll still pay $4-$5 to make one liter.

Okay, fine, maybe I'll buy a sports drink concentrate instead. These products also claim to help replenish lost electrolytes. I looked mostly for information about Gatorade and Powerade products, though I stumbled across some information about Clif Shot too.

  • Gatorade mix (powder) has no hechsher. Gatorade does make concentrate with a hechsher, but you can only buy it in huge four-liter jugs.

  • Powerade makes both mixes (powders) and sugar-free concentrated "drops" with OU certification. Searching OU's website will yield no information; maybe Coca-Cola has requested the OU to hide the information from the website. Do a search at walmart.com then click the "kosher" checkbox on the left side to filter your search results.

  • Or you can buy Mio Sport concentrated sugar-free "drops" with OK certification.

  • Clif Shot makes KSA-certified mixes (powders). The Houston Kashruth Association writes, "The national kosher organizations have informed us that KSA certified products are now acceptable but only if product is from USA/Canada." I don't know where Clif Shot mix is made.

I didn't look for information about electrolyte products in tablet form.

In the end, visit your local full-service supermarket and see what they have.

This post is community wiki. Please edit it and add to it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.