Genesis 30 (JPS):
34 And Laban said: 'Behold, would it might be according to thy word.' 35 And he removed that day the he-goats that were streaked and spotted, and all the she-goats that were speckled and spotted, every one that had white in it, and all the dark ones among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons. 36 And he set three days' journey betwixt himself and Jacob. And Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks. 37 And Jacob took him rods of fresh poplar, and of the almond and of the plane-tree; and peeled white streaks in them, making the white appear which was in the rods. 38 And he set the rods which he had peeled over against the flocks in the gutters in the watering-troughs where the flocks came to drink; and they conceived when they came to drink. 39 And the flocks conceived at the sight of the rods, and the flocks brought forth streaked, speckled, and spotted.
- Jacob got all the black goats.
- Laban hide all the black and spotted goats (verse 36)
- So Jacob started off with pure white goats (or sheep?)
- Jacob's magic turn the newborn goats spotted
- Is the term for goats similar to sheep?
Let me try to understand
Do I get this right? Am I missing something?
Also what actually happened in the end anyway? All the goats become spotted (and hence belong to Jacob's) or Jacob's got stronger goats?
Looks like pure white goats is recessive and hence, normally 2 out of 4 goats born from carrier of black genes will be spotted.
My guess is it's not really miracle. What the goats see affect their sexual selection preference. That sexual selection affect which male knock up the ewe and that affects the color of the child. That is why Jacob shows the branch only in front of strong males. I am just trying to get the detail right. It's amazing how Jacob could figure this out thousands of years ago before Richard Dawkins.
So the question is about the detail of the story:
- In the deal, what kind of goats Jacob should get (spotted? pure?)
- Did jacob put the sheep porn (the branches) in front of the male or female goats?
- Did Jacob put the branch only in front of the strong goats or all goats?
- What's the starting of condition?
- Could an animal behaviorist verify the plausibility of the whole things.