Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's say one has a relative/parent who needs a life saving operation but does not have the financial means to pay for it or even get a loan, is one required to sell his property to help them?

share|improve this question
Are you asking specifically about doing this qua kibbud av va'eim, or is that just an extra factor to the general question? – Double AA Feb 12 '13 at 21:57
yes, along with kibud av otherwise I dont think one is required to do this even if no one else can help them. If you have a source against this, please let me know – ray Feb 12 '13 at 22:05
Well, Rama rules (YD 240:5) that you can't be forced to give more of your money towards Kibbud Av than you would to Tzedaka. So we're back to the standard question. – Double AA Feb 12 '13 at 22:26

The passuk says "Tzedaka Tatzil Mimavess" (Mishlei 10:2) so while it may not be a chiyuv according Halacha, it certainly would be a legit segula to save them.

share|improve this answer

Lo saamod al dam reechah is not docheh pikuach nephesh, so if it would disrupt your marriage for example to sell your house you need not do so to facilitate the operation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.