Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can one make a Mi Shebeirach for an ill person if they do not know the mother's name?

share|improve this question
related judaism.stackexchange.com/q/2088/759 –  Double AA Feb 7 '13 at 19:24
theyeshivaworld.com/coffeeroom/topic/… take a look at "apushatayid"'s comment. –  Danno Feb 7 '13 at 19:33
Also related: judaism.stackexchange.com/a/26095/1569 –  b a Feb 8 '13 at 1:11

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

If they know the father's name they can say that instead (Yabia Omer 2:11).

If they do not know the father's name either, the Nishmas Avraham (vol. 4 42:13) writes in the name of Rabbi Elyashuv that they should say "bas Avraham" - see there at length.

I have personally heard "bas Sarah" being used rather than "bas Avraham".

share|improve this answer
This only works if they are Jewish. –  Double AA Feb 8 '13 at 2:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.