Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a Mitzvah to be Oleh Regel in today's days (meaning when there is no Beis Hamikdash)?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I have a little pamphlet of t'shuvos/analyses by Rav Mirsky that basically concludes that there is, especially fulfillable by feasting and dancing. I will try to locate, quote, and cite it.

Update: See Sha'arei T'shuva 529:4 (last one in volume 5) and the sources he cites for related information.

share|improve this answer
Is there maybe a PDF? – SimchasTorah Aug 20 '10 at 5:12
WAF rabbi mirsky of YCT? This One yctorah.org/content/view/153/54 – SimchasTorah Aug 20 '10 at 5:14

See this lecture by Rabbi Rapp.

If I recall correctly, the basic obligation is not there, but many consider it a meritorious act to make it to Jerusalem or the Kotel for the holidays anyhow.

(I think he was quoting Tzitz Eliezer and -- yibadel l'chaim -- R' Ovadya Yosef).

share|improve this answer
I know a talmid chacham (he learned in Kaminetz in Europe- still alive) who would not go to the Kosel on the regalim so as not to violate v'lo yeraeh...reikam. – YDK Sep 8 '10 at 17:34
But surely that applies only to entering at least Machaneh Leviyah (the Har Habayis), if not Machaneh Shechinah (the Azarah)? And the Kosel is outside both of those. – Alex Sep 8 '10 at 19:25
Ydk wats funnier is Rav Eliyashiv goes to Shake Lulav on Purpose so he could have a Meain of the doraisa of SHaking Lulav. And its recorded That Saddiah Gaon used to be Oleh Regel in His time and walk around the Har Habayis – SimchasTorah Sep 8 '10 at 20:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.