Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The way I understand, it has become common in recent times for the parents of the girl, to offer a monthly stipend for a period of time after marriage. Is there a source for doing this?

share|improve this question
If you're talking about just supporting a young married couple when the husband is not learning, I doubt there are any sources for such a practice (though people may have done it for any number of reasons). However, if you're talking about supporting a couple so that the husband can devote himself to Torah study then there are numerous sources that speak of this as a praiseworthy practice. – LazerA Dec 25 '12 at 18:46
@LazerA - Can you perhaps record these sources? – Gershon Gold Dec 25 '12 at 18:48
So, you are confirming that the question is the latter? If so, b"n, I will try to collect a few sources when I have time. – LazerA Dec 25 '12 at 18:50
@LazerA Are these sources about supporting one-who-learns in general, or specifically a child for a certain number of years after marriage? And GershonGold, if it is the general one, is that what you want in this question? – Double AA Dec 25 '12 at 18:54
@DoubleAA If my memory serves me correctly, there are a number of sources that specifically speak of the merit of supporting one's sons and/or sons-in-law so that they can study Torah. I don't recall any of the sources setting a time limit. – LazerA Dec 25 '12 at 19:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.