Take the 2-minute tour ×
Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can A Kohain marry a woman who had a reform/conservative rabbi officiate her wedding.. but she was divorced by an orthodox rabbi.

Thank you so much in advance

share|improve this question
Unfortunately I have to vote to close, as this appears to be a personal request for Halachic ruling, which we cannot provide here. It's an interesting question, though. If you fleshed it out a bit and made it less personal I'd vote to re-open (assuming it does get closed). The question seems to be whether it's the marriage or the divorce that matters, and whether a just-in-case divorce has the same ramifications as a regular divorce. –  Seth J Nov 28 '12 at 16:13
Brian, welcome to Mi Yodeya, and thanks very much for bringing up this interesting question! To expand on what @SethJ said, if this is a practical question, it really needs to go to a rabbi who can investigate all the particulars of the situation. However, the question posted here could be edited into a more general theoretical question that it would be interesting for us to discuss here. –  Isaac Moses Nov 28 '12 at 16:22
If I am not mistaking there is a Teshuva in the Igros Moshe regarding such. –  Gershon Gold Nov 28 '12 at 17:10
Just because it was reform/conservative doesn't mean it was an invalid wedding. It depends on the particulars, which is why the other comments are advising you to speak to a Rabbi. The Rabbi who performed the divorce would be an excellent choice - he would know if he was doing a divorce "just in case" or because it was a valid marriage. –  Ariel Nov 28 '12 at 23:14
@Ariel Even a "just in case" get will likely forbid her from a kohein, both because of safek deoraita lechumra and because of reiach haget. –  Double AA Nov 29 '12 at 11:41
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.