Sign up ×
Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If I am eating at A Chanukah Party in a different place then my home may I light the Menorah at the location of the Chanukah Party and be Yotzeh?

share|improve this question
Is Yotzeh the same as Yotzer Orh? – neilfein Dec 27 '11 at 1:27
@neilfein Yotzeh in this context means to fulfill the obligation – yydl Dec 27 '11 at 3:41

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Mishna B'rura 677:12 says someone eating at another's home but in his own city must return home to light, except if he eats there on an established basis. (Which leads to another question....)

share|improve this answer


You need to light where you live, or possibly where you're staying. Eating one meal doesn't count.

share|improve this answer
is there a source as I know people who do this? – simchastorah Dec 27 '11 at 1:34

Piskei Teshuvos speaks on Mishna B'rura 677:4 about married sons who go to their parents for the night(s) of chanukah. If they intend to stay overnight, then they light at their parent's house. But if they are going home to sleep they must light at home. Then he says,

There is someone who says that if they desire to eat and drink in the company of their family (and it is not allowed to eat before candle-lighting) then they can light there even though they are going to their own home to sleep.

The source is Shu”t Kinyan Torah 5, simon 72 where he explains his reasoning.

The footnote in Piskei Teshuvos says that they must eat a proper seudah at the parent's home and just eating cake (mezonos) will not do.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.