Mi Yodeya is a question and answer site for those who base their lives on Jewish law and tradition and anyone interested in learning more. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The halacha is you can only build a city of refuge in Israel. What if someone killed by accident outside of Israel. Can the relative of the guy who was killed go after and try to kill the murderer who killed by accident?

share|improve this question

Sifri states that the Cities of Refuge also serve people who live outside of the Land of Israel. According to Kesef Mishneh's first explanation, that means exactly what it sounds like: an accidental murderer from another country would have to run away to the nearest City of Refuge in Israel (or Transjordan), and until he does so he would be subject to attack by the goel hadam (the nearest relative of the victim).

share|improve this answer
wow thanks Alex for answering a few of my questions i really appreciate it! – Carrot monster Apr 18 '10 at 14:01
@carrot something yitzi would say is "If you think this is the correct answer you should mark it correct. " – l--''''''---------'''''''''''' Jun 22 '11 at 21:56
In the modern day, would this mean the most geographically proximate or the one nearest the airport? – Charles Koppelman Mar 4 '13 at 7:03
@charles does it matter other than saving the guy's life? If the Goel is lying in wait on the road from the airport to the nearest Miklat, who says he can't go the other way to a different one (or vice versa)? – Seth J Mar 4 '13 at 13:19
I didn't think so, but the answer's wording: would have to run away to the nearest City of Refuge implies that. – Charles Koppelman Mar 4 '13 at 13:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.